Monday, October 21, 2013

The Words We Use To Make Ourselves

Like always, I want to start this blog post off with a story. Once, while I was playing pool in the summer, I found a piece of graffiti in the bathroom of a bar I would never choose to walk into. It read (if you'll pardon my French) "Fuck bitches get money." Now, clearly our inebriated author is slightly confused as to what exactly he is trying to say. And I realized that I had a Sharpie in my purse and a period would correct the sentence into something the original author clearly did not intend. But somehow, "Fuck. Bitches get money." seemed so much nicer on that puke-beige bathroom wall.

The point is, punctuation is the guideline within which we build society. Our communications are ruled by its inclusion, omission, and nuance. And we are painfully aware of this. When I searched typography art for images to add to this blog post, I steeled myself for the deluge of "Keep Calm And ___" memes. But instead I found something moving and profound.














We are intimately aware of the words that make us up, of the way we need language and how we lean on it throughout the day. Typographic are is a visual representation of our conscious and subconscious recognition of the nuances of type and punctuation Solomon introduces. Going back to our earlier studies of sign and signifier even, these pieces blur the lines between those things, making us question in we are sign or signifier ourselves. Certainly, we made words, but in some way are we ourselves not made by words as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment