Monday, January 20, 2014

Writing Is Hard, And Other Things I Sort Of Know

For me, one of Macrorie's most striking realizations is the sheer difficulty of writing. He seldom comes outright to say it, but all of his examples of poor  creative writing display the same problem: fiction is as prone, if not more so, to the pitfalls on Engfish. Vague, stilted writing is everywhere in fiction, particularly in young writers searching for their unique voices. As a writer searching for my own voice, a solid 98% of what I write is Engfish. Not all of it is irreparable, and I am a much better editor than composer, but the act of composition is still largely an exercise in imitation.

The poem he referenced on page 125 reminds me of poetry I read, and wrote, in high school. It sounds like genuine emotions that the writer was struggling to express by using someone else's form; the author did not yet have the craft for originality, so s/he used a pre-existing form as a vehicle for authentic feeling and in doing so reduced those feelings to trite cliche.

In those passages of Macrorie's where he gets at this struggle, at what I think is the heart of his arguments, I can truly empathize with the students he writes about. It ties in beautifully with my own Capstone project, in fact, as I was working on the early pages of my novel draft as I worked on finishing Uptaught. It was painful. When I write I feel like I am unlearning clunky, outdated style with every sentence. Sometimes it takes me a page to find a tolerable vein in which to continue. Sometimes it takes until the final paragraphs. Writing is an excruciating practice for me, where the pride of composing a series of pages that say exactly what I mean just barely outweighs the incredible frustration of failing over and over to get even the most minute details to come across with any subtlety. It is a level of communication for which I was not trained and which I have struggled to master alone.

As for the book as a whole, I found its frustration with the university system to be a clarifying experience for many of my own frustrations but ultimately unhelpful as a guide towards better teaching. Macrorie's class structure was innovative for his time and clearly worked well, but it sounds like every other advanced composition class I've taken. Macrorie never seemed to explain how his system would benefit other writing classes and disciplines. My main (and really only) complaint about this book was that Macrorie seemed more interested in venting his anger at the system than in finding a multi-lateral solution, if one can even be found. He talks about his early text book attempt critically, recalling how he uses a half-baked system with no successful examples to defend his methodology, yet here he advocates for a system that shows success, but only in one field. He offers ideas, such as examining the assignment's constraints before blaming students for awful papers, that could easily be expanded, but the methodology he focuses on (having students write for themselves) is difficult to work into specified writing curriculum such as tech or P.R. writing. I feel like Macrorie has an excellent system who's full reach is underdeveloped in this book.

Other thoughts on Uptaught:
I don't know how I feel about the racism metaphors. I feel like no matter how horribly teachers treat students they will never approach the systematic rape of culture that was (and in some ways still is) racism in the U.S. Macrorie was stretching with this one.


3 comments:

  1. I have an very good feeling that I'm really going to enjoy being in a group with you as we work on our capstone projects - hehe. Because that whole paragraph about your frustration at how language comes out in Engfish sometimes? That's what I've been struggling with. I was working on a short story the other day - and I kept deleting it. I could barely get past a paragraph without that Engfish thing in my head and it's still there right now. I just finished writing an email to a co-worker for my job (hopefully) this upcoming summer, and even as I was writing it, I knew it sounded cookie-cutter. I phrased it the way I've been taught to write professional emails, and in the ways I've observed that others do as well. So, in a setting like the email, does being professional mean writing in Engfish? It's where things get hairy for me And quite confusing, given most of the things we've been learning the past four years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that working on a creative project must be so difficult because I like being within the Engfish because I know it. It is hard to come to the end of the major and think, "well I have only been taught how to write and think in this one way and now I am graduating." Although I don't think it is nearly as bad as Macrorie describes, it does make me uncomfortable looking at my own writing and knowing that my creativeness lies not in the way I tell a story or how I tell it, but what I am talking about. Macrorie seems concerned with fixing both the little things and the broad things at the same time, but what he fails to think about is that sometimes only one of those things needs to be addressed. I agree with your last paragraph about how frustrating it was to read about the problems but not with any viable solution that can work across genres. This for me begs the question: is there is a solution? Has our education failed to find a solution for us, or are we going into the work force with only one thing to put on our resume: I speak Engfish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also felt as though Macrorie did a little too much talking and not enough acting. It seems he only wants to bring up all of the issues he has with our academic systems, but leave the fixing to someone else. Obviously I haven't followed his career since Uptaught's publication, but I have to wonder if he was an innovator in respect of his own philosophies. Did he ever do anything for more than his own classrooms? I suppose you could argue he did in allowing others insight into his teaching styles through Uptaught, but that still feels a little too indirectly abstract for me to believe. I can imagine this book was more relevant when it was published, but I still found a lot of what he said to be useful. At least in a sense of what creative writers should do to let their best writing be all that spills out onto the page.

    ReplyDelete