Wednesday, September 12, 2012

This was the ONLY reminder of Sept. 11th I found yesterday. No one said anything to me during the day, no one mentioned sacrifice or remembrance, but there's always that one reminder. Should we ever let it go? Is it healthy to keep thrusting these images back into the public eye? Does it help us heal or keep the wound open?

Also, it is now possible to register to vote online, courtesy of Obama for America. The Obama campaign could draw a great deal of strength from the young people on the internet and it is actively seeking and motivating them.

Also: Obama has a Tumblr! I would kill to be the intern in the White House in charge of keeping that up to date.

3 comments:

  1. So,...uh, duh...Mary was wished a "Happy 9/11 Day" by various people. *clear throat* When does the video game come out?

    I love people!

    On Obama, I noted his online spam campaign for tiny donations netted him more cash than Romney. I guess it is a race and meaningful thing. How much money you have that is. I wonder, if you have remaining funds...do you send a rebate check back to donors or...?

    Anyway, I need your feedback on the sept. 2 post I put up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watch the news every morning and on Sept. 11 it was the only thing anyone was talking about. They displayed photos and ran the videos from that day which honestly almost brought tears to my eyes. When I see the tragedy replayed over the years I still feel as though I'm accepting what happened all over again. I was only 11 when it happened and didn't understand what was going on, and now that I'm older I have much more appreciation about the events that happened on that day. I was asking myself the same thing though, "How long can we honor this day?" "Will it be relevant in 10 years?" I think that people will move on eventually, but I think that even though its been 11 years, we're still, as a nation, trying to understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How 9/11 gets used rhetorically has always been fascinating and often a little depressing to watch, at least for me. It's shown up as a support for two wars (one where there was really no connection), as a reason to keep a mosque from being built in New York, as a sign of toughness or weakness on the part of so many candidates. Obama get hit by some this year because he didn't mention "God" in his 9/11 comments. It was a powerful enough event that it will resonate in American politics for a while, and in the culture of America even longer. But when rhetoricians "use" things like 9/11 as evidence supporting one action or another, it's really important to step back and try to see through the pathos that those pictures and images conjure up for most of us. Those were dark and heady days indeed.

    ReplyDelete